Impact on Student Achievement and establishing a School-wide college Readiness Culture
- School-wide Binder Incentive Program implemented, which has increased student organization and time management.
- Staff Survey was developed to collect data on staff development needs for AVID strategies.
- Content area teachers leveraged support staff to assist in teaching the tutorial process in order to increase student achievement.
- The Enrichment curriculum was developed by teachers to implement AVID strategies school-wide (Socratic Seminars, Reading Strategies, Philosophical Chairs, writing strategies, collaborative activities)
- School-wide Data notebooks support students success by requiring grade reflections, goal setting, and writing action plans for academic improvement.
- Increased college awareness through bulletin boards, college shirt competitions, locker magnets, and participation in the district college fair.
Top Ten List for Student Transformation:
1. Student Support System outside of the Academic Classroom (Advisory Period, Student Data Coaches, AVID Teachers, AVID Tutors, AVID Coordinator)
2. Guidelines for student success and a consistent school-wide expectation
3. Positive Behavior Intervention Plan that is AVID-ized (Binder Incentive System)
4. Community Service
- Oatmeal for the Troops
- Thank you Cards for Trexler Staff
- Baby Food Drive for Onslow County Women’s Shelter
- Toys for Tots
- Joy for GI’s…collecting travel size games for troops (cards, brain teasers,etc.)
- Christmas Cards for Troops
- Decorating cans to make pencil holders for each staff member
- Socks for Troops
- Four classes are sprucing up different areas on campus
- Christmas dinner for a family in need
- Holiday Cards for Richlands Senior Center
- Canned food for an elderly couple whose house burned
- Christmas gifts for an elementary student
5. SOAR (Serving Our At Risk)
6. Project Lead the Way-STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
7. Science Fair (TMS Regional Qualifier), Geography Bee (County Winner), Speech Oration Contest, Global Project
8. Clubs: Odyssey of the Mind, Battle of the Books, Math Counts, Academic Derby, Girls on the Run, Falcon Singers, Ladies Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, BETA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes
9. Technology: Three 1:1 Technology Initiative Classrooms, Promethean School/Elmo, Activ-Expressions, Netbook Mobile Carts for each grade level, Robotics Kits, Kindle Fire Class Set, Green Screen Technology, Geo-Caching (GPS), TRAAC: Teachers Readiness to Adopt & Adapt Digital Content, Speak Up Survey, Participation in Technical Research through Digital Promise
10. Conceptual Planning and Teaching Philosophy
Algebra data: Increasing Rigor in AVID
Student Data Notebooks & The Advisory Curriculum
Advisory Period encompasses intramurals, anit-bullying, character ed., AVID strategies, weekly lessons designed by all content area teachers, and binder check card incentive.